Saturday, November 27, 2010

Yes, I'm A Partial Zoobie Fan

Today during the BYU/ Utah game, I will be cheering for the Cougars. I admit this with a little hesitation. You see, while I was growing up my parents had season tickets to BYU football games. I think they got my ticket when I was about 8 and they kept it all the way through my college years. It was during this time ( almost every Saturday) that I learned the rules of football and really got to love watching football. I also learned to really hate Utah. I remember being a teenager at a BYU/Utah game and some random Utah fan flipping me off. What did I do? Nothing but cheer for the winning team that day. My love for BYU waxed strong until I moved to Provo and went to UVSC. I lived in BYU housing and went to a BYU ward. Even though my apartment complex had a bad reputation among many BYU coeds, I still ran into my fair share of "zoobies". You know the type that call BYU the "Lord's University", and would speak in church regularly about being "examples" to those lowly UVSC students. Meanwhile, our next door neighbors, some of which were BYU students, were drunk every weekend and making random phone calls to us about tampons. It is then that my love of BYU grew a little cold. I decided I would still be a proud BYU football fan, but maybe not such a lover of the "Lord's University". So, all I can say is, "Rise and Shout" you Cougar fans! Let's kick some Utah butt! But, let's not be Zoobies in the process!

1 comments:

aunt katie

interesting story - there were similar people like that at Ricks College. glad you are not a "zoobie" (a fan is definitely OK). Sorry they lost...