Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I understand my mom more with each passing day

When I was growing up I lived on a busy street with 2+ acres around my home. I hated where we lived. It wasn't anywhere near my best friends, and there was no neighborhood like feel. When I would go play with my friends at their houses (in neighborhoods) I was so jealous of all the kids out playing together, the night games, and just the fun that was always going on. When I would get home, I would always ask my mom why we couldn't move into a subdivision. She would always say she couldn't stand living there with all the neighborhood kids coming in and out of the house with their "dirty feet". (She is an extremely clean person with a real distate for dirty feet). She said she would be the "mean mom" on the street, cause she wouldn't let them over constantly. I could never understand her logic, but there was nothing I could do about it.
Flash forward to the present. We moved into this home 2 years ago and it is in a neighborhood!(This is the only picture I have, it doesn't look exactly like this anymore, but it is a good visual aid). Guess what? I am so tired of neighborhood kids coming over uninvited to mess up the house and wake the napping baby. I know I sound totally anal, but whatever happened to parent's telling their kids it is rude to barge in uninvited? Jesse thinks I'm mean, but I can't help it, I am becoming my mother! Anyway, I just had to get this off my mind cause I have the usual offender over playing with Abbie right now and I'm kind of annoyed. (Hey, Laura, I bet you can guess who I'm talking about!)

2 comments:

Emily

Ha! So are you moving to a secluded ranch in the near future?

Laura Stringham

I so have a solution for you... When we moved in (and didn't even have kids) all the kids barged into my house. I started putting a sign out to tell them when I could play. No sign, no knocks. It was a pretty good solution.
And yes, I know who you are talking about :)